Sunday, August 5, 2012

Poem: I've Known You For How Long

I've known you for how long?
It seems like an eternity
Dare I exaggerate?

I've known you for how long?
Seven years of loving you
Two other years of knowing you from afar

So it's true, I've known you for nine years
Almost a decade I'm scared to say
Almost all my life
Of knowing you

I've known you since we were young, so naive, carefree, and sometimes reckless
I've known you since then
Almost all my life you know?

What was I without you?
What were you without me?

It's been so long, I can't seem to remember

So how does it feel?
This you being with me and me being with you

Is it too early to say we made it or too late to say we can't go back?

You've made me cry, you've made me laugh
You were the person that made it last

So, it's true, you do know all about me
Those things I've hidden behind closed doors
Those thoughts I've had that were once unexplored

You've known me for so long

But I also know what makes you mad and makes you feel guilty...oh so guilty, it's bad
I'm reckless in pursuing your weakness, no doubt I am

You say I'm evil, like the devil no one knows
I agree, loves changed me
Brought out the me I never knew

It's been almost forever, and we're getting old
Our relationship hasn't changed
I know what you like, you know what I hate

I've known you for so long...

Your simple ways, your kind heart
You changed me, you know?
You made me into a better me
You made me see my flaws
You gave me a bigger heart
And I learned how to share

You taught me that you know

But what did you learn from me all these years?
All these seven years...


*************
I don't know anything about poetry nor do I even claim to understand it.  I just so happened to be on my phone today typing this randomly in my notes.  Now it's posted here, unedited, and simply as it is. 

Do you ever get those moments in your life where something just pops in your head?  An idea?  A simple thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment