Saturday, September 15, 2012

Ordering A Cake At Jewel-Osco

Written by: Noteforself


 Photo Credit: farm4.staticflickr.com

"Hi, can I help you?"
"Yes, do you have a Michael Jackson cake?"
"No. If you bring in a picture that you own the copyright to, we can
scan and print it on an edible wafer. We can then place it on top of
the cake."
"Oh."
"We also have cake designs in that book over there."

Customer then looks at book.

"Please let us know if you have any questions or if you're ready to order a cake."

Many customers come in wanting to order a cake but not sure how the process works. I would be too if I didn't work there. But having worked at Jewel-Osco for some time, ordering a cake, to me, is a piece of cake. (Not that I'm particularly fond of extremely sweet mildly nutritious desserts.)

When taking a special order I usually have a piece of paper I have to fill out and a set of questions I usually ask the customer. Below are basic cake ordering information that would be useful for first timers.

There are 3 kinds of cakes that you can special order at Jewel-Osco: chocolate, yellow and marble. Yellow, I'm assuming, is vanilla cake. Why we don't call it vanilla I am not sure. Chocolate is self explanatory; marble is a combination of yellow and chocolate together, mostly yellow with some chocolate in it.

There are different cakes sizes. A 1/8 sheet cake feeds about 6 to 10 people, depending on how you slice it.  A 1/4 sheet cake feeds 15 to 20; A 1/2 sheet cake feeds 30 to 40. Our biggest cake, the full sheet, is two 1/2 sheets put together and it feeds 72 to 80 people. (As usual, depending on how you slice it.) Besides the sheet cakes, we also have an 8 inch round cake, which can be either single or double layer, which feeds from 8 to 12 people. Lastly, we have the 5 inch round cake, also known as a baby cake, which some people get so their baby can play with, and it feeds about 3 to 5 people.

There are two main icings, whip cream and butter-cream. If you have a party and the cake is going to sit out, I would recommend a butter-cream iced cake because whip cream needs to be refrigerated. Additionally, we also have better-cream icing, but I usually don't bring that up because not a lot of people are aware of it, and, unless people want it, I assume they are content with the two main choices.

Once I get the above information, I would ask if you want a filling in the cake, something to put in the middle of it. If you don't that's fine, but if you are interested then the fillings are, in no particular order: fresh strawberries, fresh bananas, custard (Bavarian creme), German chocolate, fudge, chocolate, whip cream, butter-cream, lemon filling, raspberry preserves, pineapple preserves, cherry preserves, and strawberry preserves. The fresh strawberries and bananas we would get from the produce department; they are the same fruits you can get on the sales floor. The only difference is that we cut them up and put them in your cake. We would add a layer of butter-cream or whip cream, depending on your icing, before putting the fruits in. For the fresh strawberries, we would also mix it with strawberry glaze, to keep it fresh and jelly.

Once the food part of your cake is determined, I would ask you how you would like it decorated. You can either point to a picture or design in the cake design book or you can describe how you would like your cake to look. If it's a design from the book, I would jot the number associated with the design down, and then ask you what you would like written on your cake. After that, I would quote you a price and we would be almost done, unless you would like your cake modified to your desire. Modifications include, but not limited to: border colors, additional balloons or roses, primary or pastel confetti’s, ribbons along the border, exclusion of certain features of the design from the design book, etc. Now, if you don't want the cake looking like a design from the cake design book, you usually have two choices. You can bring in a picture that we can scan, print out on an edible wafer, and then placed on the cake, or you can explain to us how you would want the cake to look. If it's mainly roses and balloons and something simple, I can most likely do it. If not, I would tell you I can't and then look for the main cake decorator, who is also my crew chief, and see if she can do it.

                                                       *************
This is just a quick look at ordering a cake at my particular Jewel-Osco. It is my opinion and does not represent the company. There are more details that I probably missed and might address in the future.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you very much do you have unicorns pictures or unicorn cakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. better explained than when I got trained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I order a Pokemon birthday cake

    ReplyDelete
  4. I desperately need a cake ready to be picked up around 2:00-2:30pm on Saturday May 14,2022. Is this possible?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does jewels deliver

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need a cake for a person that is turning eighty on sunday. what do you suggest.

    ReplyDelete