Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Poem: Hating You

I don't know why you had to be like that
You know what I'm talking about

You used your deceiving looks to play it well
This character you had taken on, this role you played
Is it because you hated me or is it because I hated you?

Remember when you took her with you
Hand in hand to see those things you never let me see?
I was at home that night
Crying myself to sleep
And hating you as though I've never hated anyone before

Remember when you asked me if it was okay for you to be with her again another day?
How you felt you owed her?
Oh, how I fell for that pathetically sad puppy face you gave me
And I smiled and let you go
Even though my heart ached and bleed
I really hated you then, as much as I do now

Remember when you used to wait for me all those lonely nights?
You told me it wasn't safe to be walking out all alone

Just like the wolf in the night
You hovered over my shadow
Baiting and taking your time

Oh, those tales you used to tell through those sharp pearly white teeth

You lied to me, you know
Lied straight to my face
I was merely a pawn in your game

Remember when you said you weren't sure?
Weren't sure about you and me?
Or the things we stood for?
How I smiled and hugged you
Telling you I would wait?
Wait for you to decide on my fate,
My life hanging on your every word

Remember that day when you came back?
You wanted me, not her?
How I first wept with joy as you brought me to the riverwalk
How about how we sat there for hours not talking because my heart ached
Ached in the pain you caused me that just wouldn't go away

I wanted to forgive and forget, but I couldn't
I felt her hand as I touched yours
I felt the warmth of her lips as I kissed you
Your skin reeked of her perfume
And your hair still had the streaks from her fingers

You were not mine
You never were
And I hated you then


                                                                *************
I always think love brings about a variety of feelings.  You can be happy one minute and angry the next.  And sometimes, in those angry moments of sadness, it's best to just leave behind what you believe is love so that you can move on and find true happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment