Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Homeless

Photo Credit: Ryan Remiorz, AP Photo

I sometimes don't really know what I think about the homeless.  At times, when I see them, I feel like I should be happy to have the life that I do.  Other times, I become negative and wish they would try to find a job rather than panhandling outside on the streets.  What is it about the homeless that brings about such mixed emotions inside of me?
  • When I used to work in a public library, the homeless would come in every Tuesday of the week after making their routine stop at the local food pantry.  I wouldn't had known they were homeless until my coworker told me, as they were dressed just like any other patron.  Some sat off to the side reading a magazine or book and others just found a seat to simply sit and relax, away from the heat outside.  One lady in particular sat in one of the sofas in the children's reading area, so a library employee had to ask her to find a seat elsewhere, for fear she would scare the little kids I presume.  The homeless here were harmless and simply wanted a place to rest.
  • Most recently on my way home from work, I noticed a homeless lady standing outside near the train station. She had the typical homeless cardboard sign that said she needed help and that any change would be much appreciated in black marker.  The only thing out of the ordinary was that she was holding a cellphone.  It was no ordinary flip phone either (such as another homeless lady I've seen have), but a smartphone.  So how does she manage to pay for her phone bill? And why is she asking for money when apparently she does have the money to pay for other things?
  • Now there's also homeless people who just stand there asking for change and there's those who try to provide some form of entertainment so you'll give them something.  I view this almost as though they have a job because in a way, they are performing a service and you are paying for it.  One old man I can think of in particular jams on pans and buckets.  He does a fairly good job at it too and provides commentary on the side to boot!
  • The wheelchair bound homeless.  There are some that cannot walk and so they must use the wheelchair.  There are also others who pretend that they cannot walk and use the wheelchair as way to gain sympathy, which means more money for them.  I remember being a kid when my dad gave a dollar to a man sitting in a wheelchair who told us he was a war vet.  Hours later, on our ride home at night, I saw the same man getting off his wheelchair and rolling it down the streets.  I pointed it out to my dad and he just shook his head.
  • The homeless that do drugs while sitting on the ground asking for money.  I've actually seen some homeless people rolling up some weed and using it as I passed on by.  They usually hold what they're using in one hand and the cardboard sign in the other.
  • The homeless who have their kids with them.  Sometimes it's just one baby in the carriage, other times it's the whole family.  I've seen this while on vacation too in another country. There was a young girl, who looked as though she was eight-years-old going around with her siblings (including her baby sister) asking for money.  It's sad to see such young faces having to deal with being on the streets.Where's the naive childhood life?  I think every person should at least have this experience.  It's just not fair.
  • The demanding homeless. The one that actually follows you and keeps pestering you for money even after you ignore or tell them no.  My boyfriend told me once of one lady who was being harassed by a big homeless man.  A good pedestrian saw this and asked a security guard nearby to help her. When the guard came outside, the homeless man fled.
  • The homeless person that wants more money. I've had this happen twice in the past. It usually occurs when I am feeling sorry for someone or am randomly surprised by someone who seems to be just giving me a kind greeting. They'll ask me for money and I'll give them the change I have in my pocket. Upon giving them the money, they'll ask for more or complain that I had not given them enough.  Apparently, there's a certain amount that some like to be given and I obviously didn't meet the quota. 
  • The well-dressed homeless person.  This really confuses me sometimes. There are homeless people who look the part, dressed in worn or torn clothes that look like they need a good wash or need to be thrown out.  However, there are the homeless who wear dress shoes with a vest and dress shirt. If they were shopping at a store or walking down the street, they would look similar to you and I. 
  • Finally, there are homeless people who ask for handouts and those who do not.  A particular interesting case is an older gentleman I used to see every few days.  Can I describe him as being homeless with class? :)  I like him, so I might be bias.  Every few days in the morning I see him at the bus stop near my workplace.  He always has on a beret and is dressed in a simple shirt and cargo pants.  He sometimes has his luggage with him, along with a grocery bag filled with things I can't recall.  95% of the time, he's reading a book when I pass by.  Always a novel of some sort and when he reads, he zones out completely, seemingly forgetting where he is.  When he's not reading, I've managed to make eye contact and he greets me with a good morning and a smile.  Other times, he sleeps at the bus stop bench, arms folded across his body.  Lately though, I have not seen him and I wonder where he is and what he is doing.  I think about who he is or if he has any family.  There's something different about him...I almost feel as though he's too smart to be homeless.  Yet, who am I to judge; the homeless can be anybody right?

No comments:

Post a Comment