Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Poem: My Friend

Photo Credit: The Middle Road

Watch out!

But you never did
I told you many times where this would lead
I guess you never heard my screams
Echoing through the walls
I even warned you when I grazed your shoulder
During those sleepless nights
But all you felt was the sudden chill in the air
And all you saw were the tree branches tapping against the window sill

Did I not whisper in your ear that He was coming?
Ahh, so it's true you never listened when I heeded you then
Too busy with your life
Too stuck in your modern ways

How long has it been since we last spoke?
Have you forgotten me already?
Have you not ever slowed down to wonder where I have been?

Those days of you and I alone all seem but a distant blur
You left and abandoned me, never to come back
I was alone, watching you but unable to communicate
Without those memories, I was no more
I was merely a shadow

You had dismissed me as a childish past
But now you know better

We were the best of friends
Sharing our secrets, laughing at life
But now we are but strangers
Such a shame don't you think?

Your daughter, I loved her too
Just as I did you
I thought we could start anew
With her, I became young again
Stronger than I had before
The memories of you and I clearer than ever

But it's all been taken away now
I warned you did I not?
And now my friend, all that remains here is you.

 *************
Halloween is fast approaching, so I decided to write a poem that suits the occasion.  One thing I like about blogging is that it challenges me to try new things and pushes me to write out my thoughts.  This is my third poem here, and I'm surprised I have gotten that far.  I might not know how to write poetry and I might not write the best poems, but I'm satisfied that I have at least attempted something that was once very foreign to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment