Monday, October 22, 2012

Just Because You're An Adult, It Doesn't Mean That...

 Photo Credit: sodahead.com

You don't get pimples.
Sure, you get less because you're no longer going through puberty, but you'll still get them.  In fact, my 40-something-year-old former coworker can attest to that.  He came into work one morning and and said, "I woke up this morning and BAM! I see this!"  He then pointed his finger at the top center of his forehead.  "It's not that big," I said as I continued to stare at his pimple. In fact, it was not big at all...it was gigantic.  It took two whole weeks for that thing to disappear and two weeks of me reminding him he shouldn't pop it.

You're always right.
Adults are human too!  They make mistakes and their opinions and thoughts are shaped by the same things as kids-- experience and information learned from others.  For example, teachers tend to be knowledgeable about what they are teaching in school because they have taught a particular subject matter for years and have also spent years in school learning about how to do this.  But, they don't know everything nor can they solve or answer every question you might have.  When I was in high school, one of my classmates corrected my teacher on a math problem she did in class.  In the beginning, she did not admit she was wrong, but after solving the problem again, she realized he was right. 

You're experienced.
What does this mean?  Experience can be anything, from say, going to a club or bar and drinking alcohol, all of which I've never done myself.  I know of some adults who have never been in a relationship before either. Basically, adults can be just as naive sometimes as kids.  They can be scammed by a con artist or they can lack understanding of such things as other cultures.

You're responsible.
Think of this: DUIs, child abuse, arriving at work late, and being in debt due to overspending. Do the recent foreclosures ring a bell?  Adults are the main culprits behind these things.

You're old-fashion. 
So adults might not be super hip or with the current times, but you would be surprised by how many can name a few song titles off of Justin Bieber's album.  Most at least know he exists and think of how many older artists younger kids know of?  Not that many or any at all.  Adults aren't dinosaurs, even though some of them do look like it!  I would have to say my closest coworkers were people who were at least 7+ years older than me, some were double or triple my age, yet I loved working with them and sometimes had more things in common with them than I did with coworkers around my age.

Age doesn't = conservative.  My grandmother is living proof of this.  She's very modern and open to the idea that sometimes people go through a few boyfriends or girlfriends before they find the right one to marry; whereas my dad equates too many boyfriends to that idea that you're a skank. Keep in mind, he didn't just come about this way of thinking when he became an adult, he believed this even as a kid.

You're mature.
Adults can be just as childish or even more juvenile than kids.  They are prone to pathetic and immature acts sometimes.  I whine like a kid to my boyfriend when I don't get my way. I still own and adore my stuffed animal collection. What can I say? I'm a stuffy lover.  Then there's my mom. When she gets mad at my siblings and I, she'll give us the silent treatment and refuse to talk to us even though we're trying to create a discussion to solve the problem.

So there you have it...isn't it amazing what I used to think adulthood would be like as a kid?

Is there anything else that can be added to this?  Do you have any of your own examples?  I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks.

2 comments:

  1. When I was young, I hated how adults used to think they didn't need to apologize. If kids have to admit they are wrong, so should adults when they do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point here! I think as you get older, you realize adults are not always right/perfect. They have bad days and fall into situations where their judgement is clouded. Kids know this and I think they like it when an adult is honest and just admits they are wrong.

      Delete